Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What Violet's First Day of Preschool Kind of Looked Like

Violet went back to preschool yesterday. I have no actual pictures, which is another way I totally blew it for Violet. She was already upset when I left her in the classroom in the morning. She was gravely concerned that school would take a “yong-yong” time. Then I missed the parent meeting in the last hour. Every kid had a mom or dad or grandma . . . except for Violet. I’m not sure if there is a bigger bummer for a preschooler. When I picked her up, we had to go straight to daycare, where she sobbed as I carried her to the door.

If I'm going to be with the kids less at night and on the weekends, then I can’t be dropping the ball during the day. I realized the reason I didn’t know about the preschool meeting is I never finished reading the welcome-back letter that came last week. It was a lengthy page of info in tiny print that I attempted to read when I got home after a full day. I had already hit my daily quota for absorbing new info. I put it on the fridge and forgot about it.

That’s not like me. I usually study the info that comes from school and disseminate it in a timely manner to all concerned parties with visual reminders. My excuse is that I am surrounded by my current assortment of jobs. I’m pursuing, tracking and organizing information that is coming at me from all directions. When I’m not working, I’m dealing with the house, mini-crises such as not having a working fridge last week included. I make an effort every day to get some quality time in with the kids but at the sacrifice of things like relationships with adults, reading, and exercise. I officially don’t watch TV anymore but it’s often blaring in the background. My husband laughed at me last night because I was sitting by myself in front of an old, shoot-em-up Clint Eastwood movie, something I really don’t like. I was so focused on the computer that I didn’t realize what I was subjecting myself to and not for a short amount of time. I haven’t even seen Bachelor Pad - haven’t even DVRed it. I’m sure Tabitha is missing my commentary.

Without meaning to, I've lost contact with a number of people. I don’t have a hands-free device for my cell at the moment; otherwise, I’d be using my commute time to try to schedule a weekend with my most kind and patient girlfriends after that last weekend fell through. Plans involving my friend Amy always fall through. I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw her. I remember when I saw the rest of those bitches, but the silence has been eerie lately. I’m sure it’s my fault. And I should say Bindy right now, because she’ll get upset if she’s left out . . . Bindy!

It’s probably for the best that I can’t make calls from the car. I spend some serious time in there to accommodate my work appointments, and most of the time I’m careful, but there have been a few bad driver moments. I don’t want to tell you about my worst one. Remember when I was making fun of my mom for telling me to wait until cars weren’t coming to make a turn? Well, I really should have listened to her advice - as usual - except it was more like I was playing chicken with oncoming traffic. There was lots of loud honking and a person who was mentally challenged screaming NO! hysterically and repeatedly through my car window. The man was just trying to use the crosswalk, and it seemed like forever until I could get out of his way. Really, it was a few brief moments of hell.

My worst recent driving experience that I didn’t cause happened yesterday morning. I mean I don’t think I caused it. I came to a three-way stop in my neighborhood. I looked at the other driver and thought he was waiting for me to go so I rolled forward. Before making it through the intersection, I heard screeching tires and turned to see the other driver intentionally almost driving into the side of my car before careening around me and taking off. I wondered if that was the first time I had come across that person, because his reaction was a little extreme if you ask me.

The rest of yesterday was mainly spent searching for water bottles in between work appointments. It may seem like something you can find anywhere, but I needed small, cute water bottles that can fit in the kids' lunchbox holders – either bpa-free plastic or stainless steel - for under $10 each. I also needed to get a third one to leave at Daisy’s school today. I went to eight stores and still don’t have all three. Everything good was sold out because everyone else was shopping for their school supplies weeks ago like civilized people. I ended my discombobulated day with an unusual and challenging tutoring opportunity. It called for being creative and articulate on the spot. Not my best session, but another appointment has been set. You got to appreciate a second chance.

Yesterday was just an off day. Most days are going much better. I went for a run last night after getting home from work and seeing the kids into their beds around 9 as they were melting down. My brain started working again about 10 minutes into the run, and I remembered how much I love a night sky. When I finished, I wrote this random post. That’s my update.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I always will. The last time I saw you was a 11 months ago. Right before Halloween. Let's make it happen.